Saturday, August 25, 2012

Noisy Nora by Rosemary Wells

Noisy Nora by Rosemary Wells
Noisy Nora just wants to be heard. Looking for a book that will hook even the squirmiest of youngsters? Noisy Nora by Rosemary Wells could be your answer. This sweet story about a little sister acting out predates David of the No David! series by David Shannon, and is as old as I am. (And I'm older than dirt, in case you were wondering.)

I read this story to my little middle child, and well, her jaw was so slack I almost saw a fly buzz inside! This book is escape fiction at its finest. Poor little Nora, making so much noise, and still nobody notices her.

Nora rattles windows, slams doors, and bangs pots and pans together, but to no avail. Mom and dad are so busy helping an older sister with her school work and feeding and bathing the baby, that Nora gets lost in the shuffle. Even when Nora dumps her sister's marbles on the floor, nobody seems to care.

Finally Nora takes drastic action, and slams the door as she makes a dramatic exit. Of course, nobody notices she is gone until they realize the house is completely quiet! Now the search is on, and everybody is searching for Nora, and she finally gets the attention she is looking for with a dramatic crashing entrance at the very end of the book.

This book has a few things going for it from a storytime perspective. First, it has a cute little mouse as its main character. I find stories with cute mice almost always do well. Not sure why this is. I don't really want to encounter a cute mouse at home, but in stories it is different. Next, Nora does some outrageous things that would get her into big time trouble if she were my mouse--I mean child. Third, the book is well-paced and spare with words. Rosemary Wells doesn't have to say much to get her point across. I recommend this book for a preschool crowd, probably 3 and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment